[nfb-talk] Blind

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 20:22:25 UTC 2013

jobseekers still face many obstacles in pursuit of work By DAVID CRARY,
Associated Press CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Back in the late 1980s, when Maura
Mazzocca was a human resources administrator with a Boston-area firm, a
blind man showed up to apply for a job. Today, she remembers the
encounter ruefully. "What I kept thinking about was, 'How can this man
work in a manufacturing company"' Mazzocca recalled, saying she looked
past his abilities and saw only his disability. "I wish now I'd given
him a chance. That reflectiveness is heartfelt. Mazzocca lost her own
eyesight in 1994 through complications related to diabetes. Now as a
jobseeker herself, she knows firsthand the many hurdles the blind must
overcome in pursuit of full-time work. At a job fair last month for
blind and low-vision people, there she was going table to table, with a
sighted volunteer by her side. Some of the other 80 jobseekers carried
white canes, a few had guide dogs. Like the rest, Mazzocca was greeted
with firm handshakes and encouraging words - but none of the employers
she spoke with had job openings matching her interests and
qualifications. The venue was the former Radcliffe College gymnasium
where Helen Keller exercised en route to becoming the first deaf/blind
person to earn a bachelor of arts degree in 1904. Over the ensuing
decades, Keller helped increase public awareness of blindness and
empathy for those affected by it. Yet blind people remain largely
unwanted in the U.S. workplace, despite technological advances that
dramatically boost their capabilities. Only about 24 percent of
working-age Americans with visual disabilities had full-time jobs as of
2011, according to Cornell University's Employment and Disability
Institute. "There's a lot of stigma, a lot of obstacles," said Mazzocca,
51. "It comes down to educating employers... It's going to take a really
long time, if ever, for them to see us for who we are and what we bring
to the table. What they bring, according to national advocates for the
blind, is a strong work ethic, plus deeper-than-average loyalty to their
employers. That's in addition to whatever talents and training they
bring, just like any other applicant. In the current economy, good jobs
are hard to come by for anyone, even the sighted. But the blind face
added challenges. Even employers professing interest in hiring blind
people often don't follow through out of concern that they might be a
bit slower with key tasks or require assistance that could be
burdensome. In some cases, said Mazzocca, who has held professional jobs
since she lost her sight, "They're thinking, 'What if I have to fire
them? Will they sue me"' Many national and local organizations are
working hard to change the equation, through a mix of outreach to
employers, training and counseling for jobseekers, and support for
technological development. Though sometimes costly, there are now myriad
devices and technologies that can convert computer text or printed pages
into Braille or spoken words. Still, the steadiest sources of jobs for
many blind people are nonprofit organizations with missions related to
blindness and other disabilities. Among them is National Industries for
the Blind, a network of 91 nonprofit agencies which collectively employ
about 6,000 blind people. It recently conducted a survey of 400 hiring
managers and human resource executives across the U.S. The survey found
54 percent of hiring managers said there were few jobs at their company
that blind employees could perform, 45 percent said accommodating such
workers would require "considerable expense," 42 percent said blind
employees would need someone to help them on the job, and 34 percent
said they were more likely to have work-related accidents than sighted
employees. "We're having to deal with lots of misconceptions and myths,"
said Kevin Lynch, CEO of National Industries for the Blind. "From that
standpoint, the study was clearly disappointing, but it gives us the
opportunity to find a way forward. Lynch and his colleagues take heart
from federal initiatives that have expanded hiring of blind people by
government agencies and federal contractors. They also are encouraged by
efforts of the U.S. Business Leadership Network, a coalition led by
several dozen major corporations seeking to boost employment of people
with disabilities, including blindness. Another initiative called
CareerConnect, launched by the American Foundation for the Blind, offers
an array of resources and advice for blind jobseekers, including a
mentorship program to connect them with blind people working in the
professions they aspire to. Joe Strechay, program manager for
CareerConnect, said visually impaired people tend to be dedicated
workers - less likely than others to miss a shift or quit the job, and
no more likely than others to sue in the event of dismissal. Among those
featured on CareerConnect's website is Jay Blake, a race car mechanic
and pit crew chief. Other role models include Erik Weihenmayer, the
first blind person to climb Mount Everest, and the late Richard Casey,
the first blind federal trial judge. Yet a glance through listings of
prominent blind people conveys some of the challenges faced by
jobseekers. There are many famous blind musicians, such as Ray Charles
and Stevie Wonder, but a dearth of notables in many other fields. In the
U.S. Congress, for example, there have been several blind members - but
none since 1941. Numerous blind Americans have built successful careers
as advocates of the visually impaired, but the pathway often is
difficult. Frederic Schroeder, who served as commissioner of the
Rehabilitation Services Administration under President Bill Clinton,
recalls sending out 35 job applications after earning his master's
degree in special education - and getting not a single offer in reply.
Such rejection can be demoralizing, says Schroeder, now a professor of
vocational rehabilitation with San Diego State University and a vice
president of the National Federation of the Blind. "We need to make sure
blind people don't think, 'Society doesn't want me1' and stop trying,"
he said. "If a person gives up hope of finding a suitable job, it's a
terrible waste of human resources. It's terrible for people to live in
poverty simply because of public misunderstanding. About 31 percent of
working-age people with visual impairments live below the poverty line,
roughly double the overall national rate, according to Cornell's
Employment and Disability Institute. At the recent job fair, freelance
writer John Christie, 57, said he sometimes struggles to keep up his
spirits while pursuing a full-time job. "When I apply for something, I
never hear back," he said, suggesting that he was disadvantaged by a
resume listing numerous articles related to blindness. "Sometimes I'm
optimistic, sometimes I'm frustrated," he said. "It depends on the day.
Sometimes you get burned out. Another jobseeker, 32-year-old Jeff
Paquette, graduated in 2011 from Johnson & Wales University in
Providence, R.I., and is seeking work in the tourism/hospitality
industry. Declared legally blind in 2006, he has limited vision that
prevents him from driving but enables him to use public transportation
on his own and to read, sometimes with the help of a magnification
option on his computer. "I honestly don't know from employer to employer
what their perceptions of someone like me will be," said Paquette, who
carries a white cane when he's out and about. "I have to be honest with
them. I will need some accommodation - but I'm fully capable. At the job
fair, the only employer from the hospitality sector was Hyatt Hotels.
Their representative told Paquette to keep checking on the company's
jobs website. This was the third year for the event. Marianne Gilmore of
the Carroll Center for the Blind in Newton, Mass., one of the sponsors,
said about 190 jobseekers attended during the first two years,
collectively garnering two internships and perhaps a half-dozen
full-time jobs. "It has to be the right match," Gilmore said. Even with
no job offers, Maura Mazzocca was glad she attended - saying the
face-to-face encounters and conversations about job hunting were useful.
"People are not coming here expecting to get a job," she said. "If they
did, they'd be disappointed. Mazzocca grew up in Burlington, Mass.,
about 15 miles from Boston, and graduated from Westfield State College
in 1984. A series of jobs followed, including a stint as human resources
administrator with EG&G Torque Systems in Watertown, Mass., where she
encountered the blind jobseeker. She began experiencing vision problems
in 1990 and underwent several operations before losing her sight in
1994. A few years of uncertainty followed, before she learned how to
read Braille and developed other skills through the Carroll Center. In
1999, she landed a job with Fidelity Investments, but gave that up in
2001 after she and her husband decided to adopt a 10-year-old boy. She
returned to the workplace in 2010, getting hired as diversity manager at
Hanscomb Air Force Base, a few miles from Burlington. After 16 months,
however, she lost the job - her superiors told her she "wasn't a good
fit" and lacked sufficient managerial experience. "I did have room for
improvement - I don't think fact that I was blind had anything to do
with it," Mazzocca said. And yet she second-guessed her approach to the
job. "I had a lot to learn - but I didn't like to ask for help," she
said. "Going forward, in my next position, I won't be afraid to ask for
help sooner. She hopes to find work as a diversity coordinator, either
for a municipality or a business. Among the 29 employers at the job fair
were TD Bank, retailer T.J. Maxx, and several branches of Harvard
University, including the job fair's host - the Radcliffe Institute for
Advanced Study. Its human resources director, Charles Curti, said the
institute has no full-time blind employees at present but was pleased by
the outcome of two recent summer internships for students from the
Perkins School for the Blind. In the course of his work, Curti has
learned about evolving technologies now available to boost blind
workers' capabilities. "It's an awakening experience," he said, a reason
for optimism that the bias faced by blind jobseekers will gradually
fade. "Fifteen years ago, when I'd talk about hiring blind people, I was
stonewalled by human-resource colleagues," he said. "Now it's a
completely different conversation. They're sold on the idea - they just
need to know how to make it work. Behind another table was Richard
Curtis, a vice president of State Street Corp., a Boston-based financial
services company. He said State Street, with a global workforce of many
thousands, believes that openness toward hiring people with disabilities
will help it stay ahead of the competition. Last summer, Curtis arranged
internships for two visually impaired young men - part of an effort to
learn what accommodations would be needed and what challenges might
arise for any blind employees hired in the future. Using Excel
spreadsheets and other data-retrieval systems, the interns did research
and helped provide information for company reports. "We tried to push
them and they loved t... They don't want to be coddled," Curtis said.
"Once they're trained, for the roles we had them do, they'd be equal in
speed or accuracy to any other employee."