[nfb-talk] cane advice?

Dick and Donna Walker walkercutoff at att.net
Tue Jun 24 21:04:04 UTC 2014

Hi Tom-Here is my opinion, for what that's worth!

I have always felt that a straight cane is probably the best as far as
safety and tactile feedback.  However, a straight cane is often impractical
when riding in a small vehicle, a crowded vehicle, crowded meeting rooms or
in many work settings.  As a result, we have to use a folding and/or
telescoping cane.

I like the NFB telescoping canes very much primarily because they are light
weight.  As I have aged I have developed some arthritis in several joints
and primarily in the right side of my neck, shoulder and arm.  This is
complicated by bulging disks and ostio issues.  I did use the carbon fiber
telescoping canes when I worked in downtown Little Rock where there were
paved streets and sidewalks, where I moved around in a very large building
complex and had to do quite a bit of travel to offices and meetings.  They
were fine in that setting.

However, my husband and I live in a small town about 42 miles from Little
Rock.  It is a rural area and even in town there are virtually no sidewalks
or any such amenities.  In rural areas, when a great deal of foot traveling
is necessary and/or when you might lean on your cane a bit as another lister
mentioned: I prefer to use a quality graphite folding cane.  I stress,
quality, because all folding graphite canes are not of good quality.

As Josh mentioned, the Ambutech canes are very good canes.  You can order
directly from the company or Google them and locate some of their vendors.
The other graphite cane that I particularly like is produced by Revolutions
Enterprises Inc. and is called the Advantage graphite cane.  You can locate
them at www.advantagecanes.com.  DO NOT make the mistake of purchasing the
graphite folding cane that Maxi Aids sells! The cording is too loose and
there is far to much play between the joints which reduces the feedback that
you get from the cane.  The problem rapidly becomes worse as a result of the
loose cording.  Think it was the worst cane I have purchased in many years.
There are some good aluminum folding canes also available and they generally
cost less: but they usually weigh more than the carbon fiber or the graphite
and the joints can tend to stick more readily than those in the graphite.

Hope this helps! Like the others have said-is a matter of preference and
also can depend on where you travel and how you use your cane.

   Donna Walker