[nfb-talk] {Disarmed} Fw: Website Contact Form Submission From Kenneth Chrane

Kenneth Chrane kenneth.chrane at verizon.net
Fri Mar 14 00:56:58 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: Congressman Elijah Cummings
To: kenneth.chrane at verizon.net
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: Website Contact Form Submission From Kenneth Chrane

       March 13, 2014

      Dear Mr. Kenneth Chrane,

      Thank you for your recent correspondence on the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2013, H.R. 1010. I appreciate hearing from my constituents regarding the issues pending before the Congress.

      As you know, H.R. 1010 would amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA) to increase the federal minimum wage for employees to: (1) $8.20 an hour on the first day of the third month after the enactment of this Act; (2) $9.15 an hour after one year; (3) $10.10 an hour after two years; and (4) the amount determined by the Secretary of Labor (based on increases in the Consumer Price Index) after three years, and annually thereafter.

      Further, H.R. 1010 would increase the federal minimum wage for tipped employees to $3.00 an hour for one year on the first day of the third month after the enactment of this Act.

      Finally, H.R. 1010 would provide a formula for subsequent annual adjustments of the wage increase to ensure that it remains equal to 70% of the wage in effect under FLSA for other employees and direct the Secretary of Labor, 60 days before any increase in the minimum wage, to publish it in the Federal Register and on the Department of Labor's website.

      You will be happy to know that I am an original co-sponsor of H.R. 1010 and I look forward to casting my vote in favor of this important legislation should it come before the full House of Representatives for consideration.

      Thank you again for your thoughtful correspondence and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

       Sincerely,

      Elijah E. Cummings
      Member of Congress