[nfb-talk] What Is The Nfb Philosophy

Lloyd Rasmussen via nfb-talk nfb-talk at nfbnet.org
Sat May 24 20:04:56 UTC 2014

To read about the first 50 years of the NFB, you could read "Walking Alone
and Marching Together", which is available in several formats from the
NFB.Org website, and also available on BARD from NLS in audio or braille.
In audio it is forty-some hours long.  And that doesn't cover the last 24
years!

The philosophy of the NFB can be summed up in several different ways.  Some
of the ways include"  "It is respectable to be blind".  "With proper
training and opportunities, the handicap of blindness can be reduced to a
mere nuisance".  There are other statements, including the new "one-minute
message" that is part of the NFB home page.  But it is all just words unless
it works, and results in blind and visually impaired people leading happy
and successful lives.  I hope you can come to at least part of the national
convention this year, since you live in the Orlando area.  You will be
challenged and encouraged by what you experience.  I have been an NFB member
since 1965.  Many superficial things about the organization and its
affiliates have changed over the 49 years I have been a member, but the
underlying purpose and motivation has not.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com