[nfb-talk] Just out of curiosity

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Tue Nov 11 19:51:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

I *think* they’re fiberglass, but not of the caliber, IMO, of the canes made pre-1992’ish, the ones that had the chain through the top instead of the nylon loop.

If you want a cane like the old school NFB fiberglass canes, call the Iowa Department For the Blind’s articles and devices store. Jodi was heading it up when I talked to them several years ago, and at that time, an Iowa cane was $20. They come in even number lengths, so my memory tells me.

I have a Rainshine cane, too, but I don’t think they make those anymore. While yes, you can probably do anything to one of those, including possibly running it over with a truck, finding tips for them might be a challenge. Anyone got a source for Rainshine tips? Barring that, anyone got an idea how, or if, a Rainshine cane could be modified to take an NFB tip? The other thing about the Rainshine canes is that they are quite heavy. “Do anything with them” would probably also include bludgeoning an attacker successfully.

—
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Mobile: 814-431-0962