[nfb-talk] Thanksgiving Memories

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Tue Nov 25 02:06:31 UTC 2014

Mine are of crowding around our table with the lace cloth from Shanghai.  We
never had matching napkins, and there's a story.

Mom and dad were stationed in Okinawa at that time, and Dad, being a pilot,
often flew mom to Shanghai for the weekend.  Mom remembers that is the only
place where they could go to the military club and eat fresh vegies.  She
remembers eating salads for breakfast just to get her fill.  She also
learned how to shoot a gun because of the threat of the Communists marching
in, and sleeping with a gun at their bedside.  (She says "under the pillow,"
but I don't know about that).

One weekend when they went, Dad bought her a handmade lace table cloth, but
forgot the napkins, so he decided to go back the next weekend.

However when he did, everything was boarded up, no one on the streets, and
he was informed the area was in prep for the communist take-over.  Thus the
missing napkins for all the years of our Thanksgiving décor.

Judy