[nfb-talk] Indiana Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Tue Mar 31 23:35:00 UTC 2015

Here is one comentary.

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/in-the-line-of-fire/48976-the-hysterical-reaction-against-indiana-s-religious-freedom-bill

Judy

-----Original Message-----
From: John Heim via nfb-talk
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 1:11 PM
To: NFB Talk Mailing List
Subject: [nfb-talk] Indiana Religious Freedom Restoration Act

The NFB should issue a statement condemning Indiana's religious freedom
act.

I've been discriminated against in my life. I once was  turned down for
a job because the person who did the interview literally would not
believe that a blind person could use a computer. I'd been working as a
programmer and systems administrator for 15 years at that point. Another
time, I actually diagnosed a network problem during the job interview. I
plugged my laptop into the network, ran some diagnostics, and explained
what the problem was right there during the interview. But I didn't get
that job either because they said part of the job was drawing images for
their web site. Admittedly, It's debatable whether that second example
is discrimination. In fact, I personally would not call it
discrimination but people I've mentioned it to have felt otherwise. The
point is that I know what it's like being turned down for a job because
of something you can't control.  I know what it's like when that happens
to you when you're worried about having health insurance for your family
and making the house payment.

I remember coming home from the job interview where I diagnosed the
network problem, dancing around and telling my wife I'd nailed it. I
remember the feeling I got a few days later when she read me the
rejection letter that said they really needed someone who could see. I
said it was their loss and tried to believe it. But we really needed our
health insurance.

Now you have a bunch of lawmakers in Indiana telling us it's okay for
someone to turn a person down for a job because they're in a gay
marriage. Most of those lawmakers in Indiana have probably never been
discriminated against in their lives. They don't know what it's like.

What they are doing is just wrong. And even if you don't agree, we in
the NFB need to stand  up against discrimination in all of it's forms.
This law is intended for use against gays but there's no reason it can't
be used against racial minorities or even disabled people.

We have to add our voices to those who have come out against this law.
It's the right thing to do.

--
John Heim
john at johnheim.com