[nfb-talk] question about iphone and email notifications

Tom Cramer tom.cramer1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 23:09:49 UTC 2016

Hello lists,

>From what I've read on these lists, many people have iPhones and use
them frequently.  I hope someone can help me with a question regarding
email notifications.
I am involved with a few somewhat important email threads or
conversations where some of those messages are time sensitive.  A
sighted friend has a phone (don't think it's an iPhone) that notifies
him whenever he gets emails even if he's not in the email app.  Can
that be done on the iPhone without always having to go into the mail
app?  Of course, after five minutes, my iPhone goes to the lock
screen, so I don't know if an email notification can override that.

Just so you know what I've done, I went to settings and then
notifications and then mail.  I chose the specific email account
(because I have three different accounts on my phone) and tried
getting it to notify me that way.  It does work, but in order for me
to get the notifications, I have to open my email app anyway.
If this is the only way I can do it, then so be it, but I really
thought there was a way of getting notified any time I got new email
messages, similar to how I'm notified when I get a text or voicemail
without having to be in those apps.
If anyone can give me some good steps for this, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you for your time.