[nfb-talk] So very proud

JohnC. Scott jcscot at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 29 00:28:20 UTC 2016

Thank you for the lesson Maarianne. I have been blind for  fifty years, and
it is good to still be open to lessons.  For the other readers and writers
on this list, I wish to mention this.  I once took a seminar called the
"Forum".  Perhaps some of you are familiar with it.  One of the lessons was
called "Always already listening".   What this  means is the following.
 People don't hear what you say.  They hear what they are thinking.  How
many times have you said something to somebody, and he/she responded as if
they heard something totally different.  Actually, we all do it, for
whatever reason.  We will even argue with somebody about what they had just
said.  In short, we know better what came out of their mouths, than they do.
Even more startling, we sometimes are amazed by what they actually say, or
how they said it.  Haven't you found yourself wound up for a fight with
somebody expecting him/her to say something nasty to you, when they say
something cordial.  You almost fall over, because you are cocked and ready ,
leaning forward for the fight.  Sometimes you will surprise yourself by what
you hear yourself saying.

What does this have to do with the subject being discussed.  People say
things without any forethought.  So try not to get angry, it only hurts you.
As I say this to all of you, I recognise I am speaking to my self first.
This is just one example.  Everytime somebody tells me they are holding the
elevator door open for me, I feel my blood pressure rise just a bit.  I use
to say"I thought the door held itself open for everybody!  Sometimes I think
to  myself, you must be trying to impress somebody on this elevator.
Lately, I sometimes think....You must think I am a doddering old fart that
moves so slow the door will close on me.

Now that I am a lot older and a bit wiser, I try to have an attitude of
gratitude.  Gracious instead of salacious.  Kind instead a horse's behind.
I remember Kenneth Jernigan writing how terrible he felt, when he threw a
quarter across the street given to him by a person trying to be charitable.
To close this verbose posting, I will leave you with an old aphorism "You
have to be the change you wish to see"

Shalom,