[nfb-talk] Wanting to see again

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 8 13:43:48 UTC 2017

Good Sunday morning, folks.

I've been following this thread and have some general observations.  First
it is risky to say that attitudes on this subject are always or never this
way or that way.

With this in mind, I would say it is normal to desire sight if one does not
have it.  I know it is the case for me persoanally at least.  I had enough
sight in my childhood up to age 19 to essentially function as a sighted
person when I wore my glasses, except that I could not drive a car.  So I
feel I have a good functional understanding about what having vision is
like.  Though it isn't the be all and end all, having vision can often be
convenient.  Let's be honest, not having vision isn't insurmountable, it
does require more work to learn how to adjust to it, especially when the
world is not constructed with this fully in mind.

As for perfection or being defective, some of this is in the eye of the
beholder, so to speak.  If one takes the Biblical view that we have all
fallen short of God's glory, then we would all be imperfect or defective in
some way, yet God loves us anyway and desires to have a relationship with
us.

I would advise a couple things if asked.  Don't let anyone tell you that you
shouldn't ever desire vision or that if you do that you are not
well-adjusted and coping properly with the fact you lack sight.  Contribbute
to helping make vision possible if you feel moved to do so.

On the other hand, get as many skills and coping tools as you can that will
help you live more effectively and enjoyably, and encourage their spread and
adoption by those who need them, and advocate for your needs and for those
in like circumstances.

It's not an either-or proposition in my view, but in my case the only I can
find to address this is for it to be both-and.

That's my quick summation for now.

Bill Outman

Daytona Beach, Florida

---