[nfb-talk] Finding an assistant

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 13:31:45 UTC 2017

			That was my thinking as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-talk [mailto:nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of kaye
zimpher via nfb-talk
Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 8:50 PM
To: NFB Talk Mailing List <nfb-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: kaye zimpher <kaye.j.zimpher at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [nfb-talk] Finding an assistant

Independent living centers are usually in most cities. They typically cater
to folks with disabilities other than blindness, but they can assist with
some things. They are equiped to help with housing concerns or
modifications, finding wheelchairs, and even counseling. They usually have
an "Information and Referral" service to give out numbers and addresses to
local resources in the city which they serve. I'd be careful using an
independent living center though because they do not usually get a lot of
blind clients. They may tend to see the blind person as more of a child.