[nfb-talk] A Double Tap to the Touch Screen Devil's Head

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 00:47:02 UTC 2017

In the battle between touch screens and tactile buttons, the touch screen is
quickly becoming the reigning champion. It's not that I can't see the
advantages of touch screens. Less moving parts means less maintenance and
all that, but dammit, it used to be I only had to worry about touch screens
where warming food was concerned. Slap a tactile dot here, a Braille label
there, and I could conquer the basic operations of a microwave.

Once while on travel for work I met the enemy at a fancy hotel. I strolled
from the hotel registration desk to the bank of elevators as if I was a
frequent guest of the swanky resort. I even hit the bank of elevators on my
first try like the super blind traveler that I was, but then the elevator
doors whispered open. I walked in and reached for the familiar panel of
buttons with accompanying Braille numbers. Only, the travel gods felt I had
enjoyed enough arrogance for one day, because instead of neat rows of
buttons, my fingers skated across a smooth panel.

Read and comment on the rest of the article here:

http://joeorozco.com/blog_a_double_tap_to_the_touch_screen_devils_head

Best,

Joe

--