[nfb-talk] Fwd: [duxnews] NEW Perky Duck for Mac and Windows

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Wed Apr 18 14:54:36 UTC 2018

How does Perky Duck work? Does it allow you to press several keys at
once like a Perkins Brailler? Do you need a special keyboard?

I was thinking of writing something for linux but I couldn't get past
the keyboard issue. Somebody sent me some code that allowed you to type
characters by pressing a key for each dot in the braille cell in
sequence. So to write the letter g, for example, you pressed the f key
for dot 1, d for dot 2, j for dot 4, k for dot 5, and finally the space
bar to say that's the character. I don't think you had to type them in
order but you still had to press 5 5 keys just to make a g. At the time,
I thought that was unacceptable. But at the time, I thought there was
probably some way to press several keys at once. Turns out the hardware
itself doesn't allow that. Keyboards won't send a f and a d and a j and
a k all at once to the operating system. So I gave up on the whole idea
but now I am thinking that was a mistake. It might be slow to have to
press 5 keys in sequence to insert a g but it's better than nothing.
I was thinking of trying to see if you can use the bottom row of keys
like a Perkins Brailler. For example, it might be possible to press the
left alt, left windows, right alt, and right windows keys all at once to
represent a g.