[nfb-talk] Rock Climbing & Adaptive Adventures

John Heim john at johnheim.com
Tue Mar 27 17:55:13 UTC 2018

I just wanted to throw out there the idea of taking up rock climbing if
you're looking for a fun way to get some excersize. Rock climbing is a
really good sport for blind people because you're hardly at a
disadvantage when compared to sighted people and it has some really
interesting aspects that appeal to a blind person. You know how you
build a 3D map of your surroundings if you're blind? Well, imagine doing
that with the face of a cliff as you climb it. It's mind blowing. I love
the challenge of it. It's a great way to test yourself.

I got started rock climbing a couple of years ago with a group called
Adaptive Adventures. They are based in Colorado but they have chapters
all over the country. If you're interested in giving it a try, check
your local indoor rock climbing gym. Indoor rock climbing gyms are
popping up all over the country. The one in Madison, Wisconsin has a
clinic for disabled climbers once a month. I did indoor rock climbing
for about a year before I went on my first trip with Adaptive Adventures.

Every year, Adaptive Adventures takes a group of disabled climbers on a
trip to Mississippi Palasades State Park in Illinois. The year before
that, they had an extra trip to Devils Lake State Park in Wisconsin.
Most of the campers have missing limbs. There were only 2 of us blind
guys last year. AA supplies food, climbing, and camping equipment if you
need it. But you probably will have had to have gone to a few of the
clinics before going on a trip.