[nfb-talk] FW: [win10] Updated tutorial for using Chrome Browser Revised, important corrections

Andrews, David B (DEED) david.b.andrews at state.mn.us
Tue May 8 23:05:08 UTC 2018

This may be of use to some of you. I have mostly switched to Chrome
and find it to be good.

Dave

Begin forwarded message:
From: "David Moore" <<mailto:jesusloves1966 at gmail.com>jesusloves1966 at gmail.com>
Date: May 7, 2018 at 6:29:46 PM CDT
To: "<mailto:win10 at win10.groups.io>win10 at win10.groups.io"
<<mailto:win10 at win10.groups.io>win10 at win10.groups.io>
Subject: [win10] Updated tutorial for using Chrome Browser Revised,
important corrections

Hi Everyone!
Someone kindly pointed out to me that I had some old, out of date
text left in my updated text tutorial on Using the Chrome browser.
Also, I corrected a few spelling mistakes.
Also, a few settings are new, so I made a lot of changes in the Text
tutorial on Using the Chrome Browser, to reflect the changes in the
Chrome settings.
I will paste the brand new text tutorial on Using the Chrome Browser
right here in this message.
This is much better when I explain the Chrome settings.
Here is the new tutorial right below!
Tutorial for Using the Google Chrome Browser
By David Moore
This tutorial will be done with the latest update of Chrome.
I will also use JAWS 18, JAWS 2018, and NVDA 2018.1 for this
tutorial, because they all work the same in Chrome.
Finally, I will use Windows 10 Spring 2018 update, 1803. latest public build.
I will assume that you have downloaded and installed Chrome.
There should be a shortcut on your desktop.

Section One:
Launching Chrome:
One way to Launch Chrome, is to press the Windows key or CTRL+Escape
and type Chrome in the search edit field, and press enter when you
hear JAWS say Chrome.
However, since you have already downloaded Chrome, You will have a
shortcut icon on your desktop.
So next, find the shortcut for Chrome on your desktop, and press
enter to open Chrome.
The short cut will actually say Google Chrome, so press G to find the
Google Chrome icon on your desktop.
The first very important step, is to press Windows+up arrow to
maximize the window. Chrome often opens with the window not maximize,
and you will get undesirable results.

Section Two:
Bringing up a web site.
Press CTRL+L or Alt+D
and type the following:
<http://www.freedomscientific.com>www.freedomscientific.com
The Freedom Scientific web site comes up very quickly.
All navigation commands like: H for heading, E for edit field, C for
combo box, and so on all work just the same in Chrome.

Section Three:
The Virticle Chrome menu:
I will press Alt+F.
The Chrome menu is open.
This is a very large virticle menu that you just keep pressing up and
down arrow through.
I will press insert+up arrow to hear the first option in this menu.
New Tab, CTRL+T.
You can press that command right from the web site you are on.
New Window, CTRL+N
You can press these commands right from your web page, instead of coming here.
New incognito Window.
History sub menu.
I will press right arrow here to see what is in this sub menu!
History, CTRL+H
So, there is a key command for reading your history.
You can read a few sites you were on right here.
I will press left arrow to close this history sub menu.
Downloads, CTRL+J
There is the command for opening your downloads you have downloaded
with Chrome.
Next, the important Bookmarks sub menu.
I will press right arrow, to open this.
I hear, bookmark this page, CTRL+D
That command will bookmark the page you are reading.
Next down arrow, says show bookmarks bar, CTRL+Shift+B
That command, will show your bookmarks on your Chrome browser for all
to see. I do not want that.
Here is the important one.
manage bookmarks
The command is, CTRL+Shift+O
In here, you can organize your bookmarks into folders, see the
bookmarks you have imported from different browsers, and very
importantly, you can download, to your computer, an HTML file of all
of your bookmarks in Chrome.
On your computer, you can press enter on this file, after it
downloads, and a page will show up in Chrome with a list of all
bookmarks you have saved in Chrome. This is an awesome way to
download all of your bookmarks right to your computer, so you can back them up.
That is all for manage bookmarks.
Next, I hear import bookmarks and settings.
press enter on this, and you can import all bookmarks and settings
from IE, and Firefox, right into Google Chrome, and they will be in
their corresponding folders.
Now, I hear all of my saved bookmarks as I continue to arrow down.
Very important!
Sometimes, when I open that bookmarks sub menu, I do not land on the
choices I mension here, but instead, I start hearing my saved
bookmarks. If this happens, I press up arrow a few times, and it gets
me to these choices.
Keep in mind, that many of these choices, like bookmark manager, have
key commands, so you do not have to come to this bookmarks sub menu
at all. You only need to come here most of the time, to arrow through
your saved bookmarks, and enter on the desired one.
To save a web site as a bookmark,
Just press CTRL+D and press enter, and your bookmark is saved.
I will now press left arrow, to close the Bookmarks sub menu!
I will continue to down arrow through this virticle Chrome menu that
we entered by just pressing alt.
The next few are very self explanatory.
The next one I will mension, is the more tools submenu.
I will press right arrow on this.
I hear Save Page as, and the command, CTRL+S.
Next, Save to desktop.
This allows you to save the favorite of the page right to your
desktop. This is how you do this in Chrome, instead of doing this in
the file menu in IE.
It is hidden under this more tools submenu.
Clear Browsing data, and there is the key command, CTRL+Shift+Delete key.
Extentions, In here, you can add extentions, delete extentions and so on.
These are the same as add ons, in IE.
I will press left arrow, to close the More Tools sub menu, and we are
back to the virticle Chrome menu.
The last two that I will mention, are settings, and the help sub menu.
If you press the left arrow on the help sub menu, you can open the
help system, just like in other programs, so that is all I will say about help.
Now, we will press enter on settings, and a web like page will open
where the virtual cursor will turn on with JAWS, and NVDA will be in
Brows mode.

Section Four:
Adjusting Settings and Advanced settings:
Now that this web page is open, I will just down arrow down the page
and we will deal with each setting.
Important:
I have already signed into Chrome.
So now, arrow down until you hear sign into Chrome and press enter.
You just enter your email address and password, I think it has to be
the same email address and password that you used to set up your
Google account.
I am not sure about this.
You do not need to sign into Chrome, if you do, you can sync all of
your activity between all devices that you have Chrome on. That is
the only advantage of signing in.
I will continue with what I hear after you have signed in.
If you do not sign in, press H until you hear Appearance.
Each group of settings is a heading that you can get to by pressing
H. This makes it very easy, because you just press H until you hear
the group of settings you want to work with.
Now, because I have signed in, this is what I hear before getting to
appearance.
The first thing you hear:
Settings.
That is the very top of the web page.
Down arrow, and you hear:
Main Menu Button.
That will just take you back to the virticle menu we were in.
If you down arrow again, you will just hear blank.
Down arrow, again, and you hear:
Settings again, but now, this is a heading. You can get here just by
pressing H at the top of the page.
If you down arrow, you hear:
Search Settings.
This is where you can type in a setting that you want to change.
Down arrow again, and there is the edit field where you type in the
setting you want to work with.
Down arrow again, and you hear another heading saying people.
Down arrow again, and I hear David Clickable.
This is because I have already signed into Chrome.
Down arrow again, and I hear my Gmail email address.
Again, this is because I have already signed into Chrome to sync my
settings and all of that.
Down arrow again, and I hear:
Edit person.
This is where I could change my name.
Down arrow again, and I hear:
Sign Out.
This is because I have already signed in to Chrome.
Down arrow again, and I hear:
Sync.
Down arrow again, and I hear:
On, Sync everything.
This is a combo box, where you can choose what to sinc; I chose
everything in this combo box.
Again, all of this is because I have signed into Chrome already.
Down arrow again, and you hear:
Sync button.
Down arrow again, and you hear:
Manage other people clickable.
Don't worry about the clickables. There is a clickable for many
things, but then there is the button you enter on right after that.
Down arrow again, and you hear:
Manage other people button.
This is what you would press enter on to set up another user.
Down arrow again, and you hear:
Import bookmarks and settings Clickable:
Down arrow again, and you actually hear
Import bookmarks and settings button.
Here, you press enter and import all of your bookmarks and settings
from other Browsers like IE.
This is another way of doing this, because remember,
We had a choice of manage bookmarks in the book marks sub menu in the
virticle menu.
There is more than one place to do things in Chrome.
Now, we have a series of headings, that you can just press H for
heading, to get to.
Now, we have gotten to the appearance heading. Down arrow and you hear:
themes, which I did nothing with.
Next, you can open the Chrome web store. You can get hundreds of
extensions, and more.
Then, you hear Themes button.
Do nothing with this.
Next, you hear:
Show home clickable.
Just skip that.
There are many buttons that say clickable, and then there is a button
that you actually press enter on to work with it.
Just work with the buttons, and skip over these clickables.
Down arrow, and you have an edit box where you can put in your home
page you want to get to by pressing Alt+Home.
Next, there is the home button toggle.
Press the spacebar to turn this on or off. If it is on, you can have
the home button show at the top of the Chrome Window.
I have it checked.
Next, you get to the button where you can show the bookmarks toolbar
at the top of every web site.
You might want to check this, because it might be easier to see all
of your bookmarks.
Next, you have the font size choice where you can choose how large
the fonts are in Chrome. There is a combo box that is set to medium by default.
Next, you have the Customize Fonts button.
Next, you have page zoom. There is a combo box set to 100 percent by default.
Now, we are at another heading, where you can set your search Engine.
There is a combo box below, and I set it to Google because I like to
have my searches open with the Google search engine on the address
bar instead of Bing.
Next heading:
Default Browser.
Here, you can choose weather you want Chrome to be your default browser or not.
Just leave this alone if you do not want Chrome to be your default browser.
Next Important heading:
On Start up.
There are a few choices here of what you want to open when you start
up Google Chrome.
There are radio buttons.
The first radio button you could check is to have Chrome open in a
new blank tab.
The next radio button, is to have Chrome open right where you left
off the last time you closed out of Chrome. This could be handy!
The third radio button you can check:
Open a specific page or a set of pages.
Under this, you can type in the URL's of the web sites that you want
to open when you start Chrome.
Next, you can add a new page to your start up pages.
Next important group of settings, the advanced settings.
Now, you have to press enter on the advanced settings button before
more headings of settings will show.
The Advanced settings are collapsed, so you have to press enter to
show more headings of settings.
Now that these advanced settings are open, we get to the next heading
of settings.
There is much more we can customize under the advanced settings.
Privacy and security heading:
Down arrow from here, and you hear:
Google Chrome may use web services to improve your browsing
experience. You may optionally disable these services. Next, there is
a link that says learn more.
Next, you hear:
use a web service to resolve navigation errors.
Press spacebar to toggle this on or off.
Now you have:
Use a prediction service to enable you in searches.
I left this unchecked.
Next, you have a setting to speed up the loading of web pages:
I checked this with spacebar.
The next three settings I just left alone.
I checked the one that says:
Use a web service to help with spelling.
I leave manage certificates alone.
Next, you have content settings, but this is not a new heading.
We are still working with the same heading.
The only thing of interest here, is the clear history button.
This was available in the vertical menu, so don't worry about this.
Now, we get to the next heading of settings.
Passwords and forms:
Under this heading, just make sure that you check to be able to have
Chrome save passwords.
Languages Heading:
I did nothing with this.
Downloads heading:
This is where you choose where you want your downloads to be saved on
your computer.
Printing heading:
I did nothing with this.
Accessibility heading:
I did nothing with this.
Now, we have the System heading:
Down arrow, and you hear:
Continue running background apps, when Google Chrome is Closed.
I have this unchecked.
Next,
Use hard ware excelloration when Available.
I have this checked.
Next, you hear:
Open proxy settings button.
I left this alone.
Last Heading LOL!
Reset.
Here, you can reset all settings back to their original.
Lastly, there is a button where you can clean up your computer.
We are done with Settings.
Now, just press CTRL+F4 to get back to the Freedom Scientific Web site.
This settings web page, opens in another tab.
That is it for settings.
Notice, we made a lot of changes under the advanced settings. You
cannot see these, unless you press enter to expand these.
Now, press the Alt key again. Up arrow once to get to the end of the
menu where we were with the settings.
You see exit, up arrow and you see the help sub menu, right under the
settings choice.
I press right arrow on this help sub menu, and you can enter on the
help center to get a lot of help using Chrome.
To open a web site, just press CTRL+L or Alt+D and type the URL.
Chrome for me, is so much quicker with web sites that involve
streaming TV and Watching movies, and so on.
For me, Chrome opens large news sites very quickly compared to IE.
Lastly, All JAWS and NVDA navigation key commands work in Chrome. For
example, you can press F7 to open a list of links with JAWS, and the
elements list with NVDA. All of that is the exact same.
This is the end of the tutorial.
David Moore
Sent from <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>Mail for Windows 10