[NFB-Talk] intellicane

sonshines59 at gmail.com sonshines59 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 19:27:43 UTC 2022

Hi,

I’ve been using a white cane or guide dog for about fifty years, and I still say nothing beats the white cane or guide dog and intelligence and critical thinking in the training and use.

However, I am not at all against the development of these items, just because of the age we live in.

But, you have to think now!  If you wake up some fine morning, and your cane’s battery is dead?  Sighted people with dead car batteries get a cab,  or a ride to work, or call in to the boss, saying will be late.  Everyone is going to maybe understand the ramifications of a dead car battery in our carcentric society.

It sounds like these devices would still be canes with the training needed to use them effectively, but with other features, just like a vehicle having air bags or rear cameras, or the distance warning system beeps when getting too close to another vehicle.

Judy