[NFB-Talk] intellicane

bullis.michael at gmail.com bullis.michael at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 14:57:43 UTC 2022

I’m not sure that being for or against this idea is the point of it.

Buddy and others have rightly pointed out that the device has to be more effective than a cane if it were to be useful.  I think about it this way.

When I have used a dog, one of the things I really liked was the ability of the dog to detect obstacles at a distance and go around them.  The thing a dog can’t do is tell you why, for example, it is stopping.  Is it because there is a step up?  Step down?  Cliff?  Wall?  Dogs simply stop and leave it to the user to figure out the rest.

If the intellicane could give more than that little bit of information provided by the dog and still allow the user to use the cane as an analog tool, it might, and I emphasize might, be useful.  Let’s see what they come up with.  Inquiry is the secret to progress but not all inquiry results in anything usable.  Actually, having been a would-be inventor in my life, I would say that most inventions turn out to be failures.  So, let’s see what they come up with, keep our standards high, and enjoy the process while watching it for possible benefit.