[NFB-Talk] Equality vs undue burden

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Wed Jan 5 20:25:02 UTC 2022

In this month's Braille Monitor, there is an article by George Stern
about striving for equality. Not to criticize the article at all, it is
really good as far as it goes. I have a little problem in that there is
an obvious answer to one of the main points George brings up. I see
people struggling with this same issue all the time in all kinds of ways.

In the article, George mentions a friend who says equality for blind
people is an impossibility. The example George gives is his friend
saying, "A wheelchair user and an able-bodied person apply for the same
roofing job. Which one do you expect the contractor to hire?"

What George and his friend are doing here, without even realizing it, is
struggling with the concept of an undue burden. Of course a roofing
company is going to hire the able-bodied person because (presumably)
hiring the person in the wheel chair would be an undue burden. If, on
the other hand, the person in the wheel chair could do the job with some
kind of lif system so that it would not be an undue burden to hire him,
then the roofing company should treat the applicants equally.

I am not expressing a legal argument here although I believe this
concept is actually legally binding in some circumstances. This is an
ethical point I am making. I see people debating the ethics of
disability rights all the time. They do this dance around the concept of
an undue burden without seeming to recognize it.

Ethically, as a disabled person, you have a right to be treated like
everybody else unless it would place an undue burden on somebody else.
The debate should never be on whether you have a right to an
accommodation but rather on whether  you are asking for something that
constitutes an undue burden. You want to bring your guide dog on an
airplane? Does that place an undue burden on the airline? You want your
text books in braille? Does that place an undue burden on the school?

If you just keep this concept in mind, most debates over disability
rights can be resolved fairly easily.

###

Jack Heim, john at johnheim.com