[NFB-Talk] How does a blind person…?

Gail Hamilton gail at soaringintogreatness.com
Fri Nov 11 13:21:07 UTC 2022

Chiming in. I’m a speaker and author and have used what I call the Dos and don’ts regarding blind people to stimulate conversations during presentations. I’d be open in assisting in this project.

Here’s the body of this handout; however, if you use it, please acknowledge my name for it’s copyrighted.

Do’s and Don’ts When Interacting with a Blind Person

#1 Use your same speed and volume of voice when talking with us.
Don’t yell at us when speaking with us, our hearing is fine!

#2 Talk to us directly.
Don’t ask other people questions about us or answer for us.

#3 Keep your language the same. Using words like “See” and “Watch” are okay.
Don’t change words because you are embarrassed, “Did you listen to that show last night?”

#4 Involve and include us in conversations.
Don’t isolate or ignore us.

#5 Make audible sounds of confirmation when conversing with us...such as ”hmm.”
Don’t smile and nod your head.

#6 Have the same expectations of us as you would have of anyone else.
Don’t presume we can’t do … We can, just differently.

#7 Know we are human and we have imperfections just like anyone else.
Don’t assume we are gifted just because we are blind.

#8 Inform us when you are leaving our presence.
Don’t suddenly walk away. We can’t see you have left!

#9 Leave objects and lights as you found them in our homes or place of work.
Don’t Leave chairs pulled out or glasses of liquid in unexpected places.

#10 When assisting us as a sighted guide, let us hold your arm.
Don’t grab our arm which pushes us forward, we could stumble.

#11 Walk slightly behind our right shoulder when walking with a guide dog team.
Don’t walk on the left side or in front of us as to guide the dog.

#12 Give needed verbal information directly to the owners of guide dogs.
Don’t Ever talk to a guide dog while working, “This way, Fido, over here!”

#13 Keep your hands off a guide dog at all times.
Don’t Ever pet, regardless of how much you like dogs; it’s a matter of safety!

#14 Hold your dog, or put it at sit, and announce you and your dog are present, when interacting with a guide dog team.
Don’t Allow your dog to engage with a guide dog under any circumstances.

#15 Keep in mind that a guide dog is constantly working for the safety of its owner.
Don’t Distract by talking, waving, or making eye contact with the guide dog. It’s a Class Three misdemeanor to cause any type of distraction or interference.

Infinite Blessings,
Gail Hamilton
International Speaker
Soaring Into Greatness
Unstoppable, Unforgettable, Unbelievable
gail at soaringintogreatness.com<mailto:gail at soaringintogreatness.com>
(720) 984-8082<tel:720-984-8082>
[Facebook]<https://facebook.com/gail.hamilton.9231> [LinkedIn] <https://linkedin.com/in/gaillhamilton>  [YouTube] <https://youtube.com/channel/UC2ETmkavYKd75Gz9NKBgPhw>  [Instagram] <https://instagram.com/soaring.into.greatness>
[Soaring Into Greatness Logo with gold wings on a green background.]<http://soaringintogreatness.com/>
[Member, National Speakers Association]