[NFB-Talk] Where to ask questions about braille transcription?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Mon Sep 5 17:46:11 UTC 2022

John,

There are several options.  I gather from your example that you are looking for answers to translation questions.  There is a lot of information about Unified English Braille (UEB at
www.brailleauthority.org

However, the rules for UEB are something like six braille volumes if embossed, so I am guessing that you are looking for quicker solutions.

NFBNET has a list for discussing general topics surrounding braille, and there are people on that list who are certified transcribers or proofreaders who might be willing to answer questions.  You can get more information about that list and subscribe at
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nfb-braille-discussion_nfbnet.org

You can probably get some questions answered indirectly by downloading Braille Blaster from the American Printing House for the Blind.  It is a free braille translator and it shows how text is going to be translated in real time by having a text and a braille window.  Obviously, if you already have access to the Duxbury Braille Translator, you don't need Braille Blaster.

Finally, if your goal is to create braille signage for commercial use, it is really a good idea to find a certified braille proofreader or transcriber to check the results.  I believe there are guidelines for braille signage but I can't locate them right now.  I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson