[NFB-Talk] Civil rights advocate, Judy Heumann, dies at 75

John Heim sconnie.johnnie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 16:01:32 UTC 2023

I think Judy Heumann's life story is a lesson for members of this list.
Please watch/listen to this:

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/because-she-made-a-fuss-judy-heumann-made-everyone-s-life-better-164606021818

Rachel Madow makes a point there that I have tried to make many times on
this list. By advocating for our rights, we make everyone's life better.
When we choose not to push for reform, we are damaging society as a whole.

Judy Heumann was once part of a cit-in at a federal building that lasted
28 days. As messy and inconvenient as that was, it was a huge boon for
our society as a whole. Judy Heumann is a hero.

We need to change the culture within the NFB. We shouldn't have fought
accessible money and accessible pedestrian signals. Yes, I know those
issues came up a long time ago. But the culture within the NFB is the
same as it was back when we made those mistakes. We need to start
believing that when we fight for our rights, we're helping our society.
We're correcting a mistake. That helps us all.