[NFB-Talk] Addressing Open House Concerns

Shannon Cook coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com
Mon May 29 05:39:05 UTC 2023

It sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself to make this
meeting an all or nothing proposition.  I am not saying this to be critical,
but to encourage you to take a little of the pressure off.  Think of this as
a meeting where you are cranking up the car on a cold winter day.  It will
take a little while for the car to heat up, but it will be a good start.
Like David Andrew said, provide food.  Have a short program, but leave time
to give people a chance to reconnect or meet for the first time.  The
Personal connections will be what brings people back to  the organization,
so let them mingle.  Also, let people know that masks and plenty of hand
sanitizer will be available for anyone who may be apprehensive about
getting out in a larger group Setting.  We are reorganizing some chapters in
our state and enlisting the help of our state's Talking Books Service.  You
could do that too and ask them to distribute letters about the meeting to
their patrons in those counties or ZIP codes.  That way, they are not
vilating privacy, and your chapter may find lots of new members.  Lastly, I
would suggest having something they can take with them that has the contact
info, meeting time, etc. for the next meeting.

I hope this helps.

Shannon Cook

Member, National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

The greatest investment you can make in this world is kindness.