[NFB-Talk] Partial Vision Interest Groups?

Kaye Baker kaye.j.zimpher at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 20:55:21 UTC 2024

I believe  that ‘free thinking” is  a concept that allows for disagreement  among parties involved. I for one happen to love the fact that our organization does not pit visual acuities against each other. I have met many partials in my 54 years who did everything they could  to let me and  other totally blind individuals know that they were far  superior. I actually had a partially sighted co-worker that said “The IRS needs to get  rid of some of the dead  weight around here  by firing  all of the totals.” I can  say with most certainty that I am and have never been dead  weight, and did not appreciate being labeled  as  such.

What I have seen in our organization is people showing each other different ways to live. Often partially sighted individuals struggle with certain tasks that might be made easier by learning “alternative skills of blindness.” One such example was a friend I have who came to me one day and said that she was often  embarrassed at work because when she needed to get a file out of her desk she had to bend over her cabinet draws with her fanny in the air and she knew others were watching her. She had to put her face  so close to the folders that it was almost counter-productive. I let her know that if she could learn just a little Braille, like the alphabet, she could label her files.  So, that she did.  She learned enough Braille  to get by at work,  but then she felt a sense  of freedom that caused her to want to learn JAWS and even start  using her cane in public. Last time I saw her she was not as stressed and anxiety ridden because of something she could not read on her phone, she just pulled out voice over and got her done.

I know this message is long, but perhaps instead of those with partial vision trying to also set themselves apart, or try to show a sense of superiority, maybe they should walk  beside us and  learn from us just as we learn from them.