[Nfb-utah] Braille and white cane tutors available?

Charisma grey3098 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 02:47:44 UTC 2010

I could be serviced by the Division of Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired and intend to be in the future, but right now I am having some difficulty meeting the scheduled classes they have available; I have other considerations that are holding me back, such as my health, my son's autism, and travel expenses.

I am hoping to find a tutor/tutors who would:
--be willing to come to my home to teach me cane travel; be aware I know nothing about it and would only be able to move around my own apartment and in limited ways in my apartment building as I have some physical limitations slowing me up. I am slated to get a wheelchair but until then I am going to run out of steam pretty quickly.

--be willing to occasionally come to my home to tutor me in Braille but who would be available to help over the phone or through email.
I have memorized contracted Braille in my mind and am making progress using it in writing and reading but am having trouble with finger placement and with understanding the rules for what can be used where and next to what, etc.

Is anyone interested and able?

My funds are extremely stretched so I am mostly looking for quotes right now, hoping to add any tutoring fees to my future budget.

Thanks for looking!

Charisma