[Nfb-utah] Giving back to the community at our Christmas party

NFB Utah Salt Lake Chapter nfbuslchapter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 03:06:42 UTC 2016

Fellow Federationists,

I hope this message finds you well and you are getting excited for our
Christmas Party on December 17. It is sure to be a big bash with lots of
friendly faces.

As part of our commitment to giving back to our community, we will be
collecting items for the International Rescue Committee. This Committee
helps immigrants of many types, including refugees, victims of human
trafficking, and survivors of torture to restart their lives in America.
They cover a range of services, including a resettlement outreach program.
These are people who help families get started,
including setting up a home, enrolling children in school, learning to use
public transportation, and assist in getting people connected with
employment services.

The IRC is in need of supplies for their Home Necessities Bundles as these
are items which are often expensive during the beginning months of setting
up home. I have provided a list of things that go in the
kits we will be collecting at the Christmas party. You are welcome to buy
one item or make up an entire kit if you wish. I will be then putting
together what we have collected and meeting with the donations
coordinator the next week. He was very excited to hear about our desire to
give back to the community and also said they are always in need of laundry
detergent, dish soap, and size 4-6 diapers with wipes.

The IRC also tries to promote integration into the community through
shopping trips for families to be able to go into a store and purchase
items on their own. This assists in learning to use public transportation,
English skills, and becoming familiar with how shopping in America works.
Gift cards to the following can be donated in any amount: Target, Smith’s,
and Wal-Mart.

Home Necessities Bundles should be packaged into a cleaning bucket, trash
can, or a reusable bag to assist us with organizing our storage spaces and
for easy delivery to newly arrived refugee families or individuals.

Bundles should include:
• Small Trash Can, Cleaning Bucket, or Reusable Bag (to put everything in)
• Dish Soap
• Dish Towels
• Glass Cleaner
• Hand Soap