[Nfb-web] Drupal Site on Local Computer

E.J. Zufelt everett at zufelt.ca
Wed Apr 1 08:42:56 UTC 2009

Good morning Joe,

I notice that this question has not been answered so let me take a
crack at it.

If I understand you correctly you would like to know wat software can
be recommended to be installed on your personal computer to locally
host a Drupal installation while you are learning about Drupal.

I avoided answering this question at first because I know that there
are easier solutions than the one I use and didn't want to recommend
any having never experienced them.

What I do is to install Apache2 web-server, mySQL 5 and PHP5.  These
three applications working together are often referred to as AMP and
when in a Linux environment are often referred to as LAMP.  I myself
install each application onto whichever operating system I happen to
be working with at the time I am working on a project.  But, if you do
research online you will likely find packages that will automate the
installation of all three applications at the same time for Windows.

You should also know that once you've developed a site on your local
computer it is possible to transfer your Drupal implementation to a
web server by moving the drupal directory structure, modifying the
settings and moving the mySQL database to your server.  I believe it
was Mike that pointed out earlier, and I will point it out again, that
if you plan on moving a Drupal installation from one server, or domain
name, to another then you will need to make sure that there are no
hardcoded links in the content of any of your pages.  Drupal will
ensure that none of its generated links are hard coded.  What I mean
by this is that http://mycomputer/node/2222 will not transfer properly
to another server, whereas /node/2222 will.

Hope that helps and let us know if you have any other questions,
Everett