[Nfb-web] ARIA Elements in CSS

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 17 22:18:11 UTC 2009

Good afternoon everyone,

    This month's FS Cast discussed the use of ARIA, a methodology used to
improve the accessibility of Rich Internet Applications, (RIAS.) ARIA is an
acronym for Accessible Rich Internet Applications. If you visited
www.bookshare.org since it was relaunched earlier this week you'll know that
they've enhanced their site navigation by implementing ARIA on that site.
I'm all ready playing with the "Role" element and tested it on an affiliate
site template and was pleased with the results. I'mcurious to know if anyone
has examples of how to include ARIA definitions on a CSS. From what I've
seen thus far some pseudoclasses would need to be created to designate page
landmarks as has been done on the new Bookshare Web Site.

    ARIA has other attributes that can be used to enhance the accessibility
of Web sites and applications that are quite exciting. Let me encourage
everyone to listen to FS Cast 26; even if you're not a JAWS User. The
information about ARIA and Web 2.0. You can hear or download the podcast at:
http://www.freedomscientific.com

 This information will be very useful in the future as the Web changes and
accessibiliyty eveolves to address these needs.

Peter Donahue