[Nfb-web] A couple Drupal questions

Michael Hansen mhansen4 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 05:28:26 UTC 2009

Arnold,

Great questions, you have obviously been reading up on the
capibilities and functionality of drupal. Let me see if I can answer
your questions.

1. If by the root level you mean at the same level as the Information
book and How-to book that I already have posted. then the answer is at
this time I have create new books. This can be opened up so that
others can I just thought I would start off easy. The other part of
this is that even if you had the right to make a new book, I would
have to add it to the menu for you. So I tell you what, your wish is
my command. The book is there and linked off the main menu.

2. Hidding content until it is ready. Yes this is possible with
drupal. The basic idea is that when a page is ready to go live the
status of the page is changed to published. Non-published pages are
only visible to users with the ability to edit all nodes (content).
Normally this is probable not a permission that would be given out to
normal site users. To get around this the status of new content is
automaticly set to published when it is saved. Being that this is a
community site where everyone is helping to contribute to it's content
and the fact that this is a closed (non-public) site I don't see then
need to worry about content "under construction" being visible to all.
Lastly you might have noticed a new link on the menu titled Sandbox. I
am working on setting up a area where we can play with things just
like this out side of our production envirorment. I will pass along
more as I get closer to having it ready to go.

3. Everyone who is a registered member of this site already has the
necessary permissions to edit the content poseted by others (I think
the only exception is blog entries, I reserved that right for site
admins). As for comments they too are already enabled. To submit a
comment just use the "add new comment" link at the buttom of most
pages.

4. If you are refering to the main page of your book. I have posted
information about this that can be found at
http://www.nfb-web.nfb.org/node/47

NOTE: When setting up the site for us to use as a committee I had to
make some decisions as to permissions, site organization, etc. etc.
etc.  None of this is set in stone. It is purely a stating point. If
it makes sense to change something lets discuss it and make the
appropriate decision.

Mike
---
Mike Hansen