[Nfb-web] Dick Edlund obituary

Stanzel, Susan - Kansas City, MO susan.stanzel at kcc.usda.gov
Tue Jan 27 14:37:34 UTC 2009

Here it is.

 View/Sign Guest Book

--------

Richard J. "Dick" Edlund Sr.

Richard J. "Dick" Edlund, Sr. made his transition on Jan. 6, 2009 at the
age of 84. Dick was born in Kansas City, KS, and lived in the area all
his life. Dick and his father owned and operated Edlund's Hardware in
Muncie (now Kansas City, KS). He was Commissioner at Large for the old
Kaw Council (now Heart of America) of the Boy Scouts of America, owned
and operated a small airport west of Kansas City, and owned several
airplanes. Blind since his teen years, he sought dignity, mobility, and
equal pay for blind people everywhere. He served on the board of
directors, as Treasurer, and as a troubleshooter and union organizer for
the National Federation of the Blind. He was past-president of the
National Federation of the Blind of Kansas. Dick was a Mason and member
of Delaware Lodge No. 96, Kansas City, KS. Dick served several terms as
a legislator in the Kansas House of Representatives 33rd District. After
retirement, he traveled to the UK, France, Belgium, Portugal, and
Argentina. Dick was ready to go anywhere, any time on a moment's notice.
Dick is survived by his companion Pompilia Mahoney, son Richard John
Edlund, Jr. (Barb Lisher), grand children Alisha and Shannon Griswold,
and three stepsons, Jack, Jim, and Mike Miller. He was predeceased by
his father Earl Edwin Edlund, mother Mary DeKeyser Edlund, first wife
Doris Grayce Stempges O'Diorne, and second wife, Eileen Miller Edlund.
Celebration of Life service will be 1:00 p.m. FEB 21, 2009 at Unity
Church of Overland Park, 10300 Antioch, Overland Park, KS (reception
following). No flowers, please. Donate instead in Dick's memory to K.C.
Hospice House or the National Federation of the Blind. Send pictures and
stories to EdlundRJ at gmail.com. In his own words, "I've had a pretty good
run". Or, as Winston Churchill said, "I am ready to meet my Maker.
Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another
matter."