[Nfb-web] Non X Catalyst Hosting on NFB Server

Ruth Anne Wheeler webmaster at nfbofillinois.org
Tue Mar 24 03:52:12 UTC 2009

Chiming in here from Chicago.....

The Illinois affiliate made a decision quite a few years back now that to
them it was worth the investment of a couple hundred dollars a year to
utilize an outside hosting company, because the company provided an uptime
guarantee at 99.xx%. Illinois also chose that course in order to have an
independent site, also. (we do utilize NFBnet for our listserves)  Is that
in the realm of every affiliate?  Probably not.  But we make a point of
utilizing our giftcard fundraiser (among other projects we have) to ensure
we have the funds to pay for that independent hosting.

That said, what is done with NFBnet.org is incredible.  The fact it is
provided free of charge is beyond incredible - it is a priceless gift to all
of the NFB.  If there is a line problem with Qwest, that is beyond David's
control, and solely the responsibility of Qwest.  If David needs to go and
buy a new DSL modem once every few years, that is a price of business.  But
everything that David Andrews has done has been timely and certainly to
everyone's best interest.

We cannot look the gift horse in the mouth.  If we are being given a gift,
we use it and work with that gift to the best of our ability.  It is called
stewardship.  That is the course of action of any responsible non-profit
organization.

Stepping off my soapbox,
Ruth Anne
Ruth Anne Wheeler