[Nfb-web] Outages

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 24 04:02:14 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

    It will need to be done eventually so let's have at it. I'm receiving
calls from people in San Antonio and elsewhere asking me what's wrong with
NFB Net and can I fix it. I was on with one person for a half hour
explaining the situation to him. It took me a while to convince him that
while I would like very much to see NFB Net online as soon as possible this
situation is out of my control.

    They're telling me that they depend on it heavily for publicising their
affiliate's activities, and communicating with others in the movement that
they feel lost when it's down. Some affiliates permit visitors to donate via
PayPal and their Web site and still others raise funds through the sale of
items, and allow perspective members and others to join their organization
or register for various events. All of that activity comes to a screaching
hault when NFB Net goes down. This kind of activity will increase in the
coming years as affiliates find new and creative ways to conduct community
outreach, fundraising and other business via their Web sites. I have
requests from several affiliates for adding these capabilities to their Web
sites later this year. Here's hoping things will be better in the coming
months while we explore ways to address these outages. All the best.

Peter Donahue