[Nfb-web] Non X Catalyst Hosting on NFB Server

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Mar 24 18:27:56 UTC 2009

Pete and others,

As someone who has worked with the NFBNET system, I think we need to try not to loose sight of a number of things.

When we began taking on more and more lists, it was not done because we thought we could be a better list provider than yahoo, or other large listserves that were
hosted at various universities.  Rather, we were trying to meet a specific need.  There was a need for a good number of lists dealing with various aspects of
blindness.  What we were finding was that there were very accessible listserves, but then something would change and they suddenly were no longer accessible.
In some cases, listserves disappeared altogether.  Moving a list from one place to another isn't that big a deal, but what about moving a hundred lists?  Even our
quiet lists would have had to be moved or cancelled.  The nitch we tried to serve with NFBNET was to have a place where one could count on the supportting
software for lists to be accessible six months or even several years later.  Generally, NFBNET has surpassed expectations there very well.

Pete, while you have a way of asking questions that puts one on the defensive, I think some of your points are well taken.  They have to be kept in some sort of
perspective, though.  We provide a place for affilliates to get a virtually no-risk way to start a web site.  However, we have learned that the same level of acceptable
downtime for lists is a problem for many web sites.  While the ability to raise funds through the internet has been there for some time, we've seen a marked increase
even during the past year in the use of web sites as fundraising.  Those of us who are on the NFB-History list also know that the expectations for audio and video
are rapidly rising.  We often reject the rates that some businesses charge for full service internet hosting as being unreasonable.  Frankly, some that offer reasonable
rates are probably less reliable than ours.  The fact is, just buying two of everything doesn't get you reliability.  You have to pay for the people time to besure that
configurations are correct and that various pieces of equipment are interchangeable.  They have to be monitoring when there is a problem and sometimes be
physically present to resolve the problem.  It is a little hard to resolve a problem from a remote site when the problem is a DSL cable for example.  In other words, it
takes some infrastructure.

The sophistication that we have among us varies greatly.  We have had a series of problems that have now been rectified by a completely new and larger server
and our DSL problems have likely been resolved.  We had some difficulties because of a problem with a universal power supply that was fixed some time ago.  I
think that there needs to be some time to see what sort of track record we can develop in terms of reliability.  However, I am not certain that we can or that we want
to try to be the platform for a complicated web site that requires 99% uptime and a wide bandwidth of information flowing from it.  We are going to have to try to learn
together where that point is when using our free service is probably not an option.  On the other hand, we will also be learning what can be done to make our
service more reliable.  There are, for example, increases in DSL speed that might be helpful, or we may need to investigate a different sort of connection.  As was
mentioned, there is the ability to locate a server at an ISP which makes the connections their problem and allows a faster connection as well, but this increases the
costs.  The point is that we all need to grow and learn together, and it is a learning process.  While I know that rundraising through a web site is something that must
be taken seriously, I also think that sometimes those of us who are close to this stuff forget that life actually does continue when a web site is down.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson.