[Nfb-web] JAWS 11 Latest Update and Page Reading

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 17:39:03 UTC 2010

Don't get me wrong.  I think Freedom Scientific makes it possible for me to
do a vast number of things I would otherwise not be able to do without JAWS.
I do not mind paying my share for the development of the product, but I do
expect a demonstrated fix to some of the issues I and others have raised.

1. JAWS 11 still will not read certain HTML e-mails in Outlook 2003.  There
is no real way to predict which e-mails will read and which e-mails will
just draw a blank.  In this case the only way to read the message is to hit
reply and arrow down to the original message.

2. JAWS support of Firefox seems spotty.  Sometimes new pages freeze just
like the previously mentioned Outlook e-mails.  It's not that JAWS freezes.
It's that it won't read that screen no matter how many times you refresh or
route cursors.

3. I still don't get this issue of pages that read in the fractured manner
they are reading, links being disorganized or blocked out altogether.  The
website I was referring to yesterday was:

http://www.kamikazegames.com/dominion

You have to register to play, and only after you log in would you be able to
see what's going on.

4. Selecting items in a dropdown box on Firefox seems touch and go.
Sometimes you need to use Alt + Down Arrow to open and select.  Sometimes
you don't, and many times when you leave Forms Mode the page does not
automatically refresh to reflect the change.  This is a general issue, not
one limited to a specific site.  I know I could just use Internet Explorer,
but I switched browsers because Firefox is more secure and has blocked all
rogue software that IE was not blocking.

Again, I am willing to tweak my computer to make JAWS 11 work better, but
it's frustrating when switching back to JAWS 10 works so much more
efficiently.  I am confident all my settings in both versions are identical.

Any help is appreciated.  If I am doing something wrong, I do not mind being
corrected, but thus far technical support has been incapable of resolving
the issue.

Joe

database 5037 (20100418) __________

http://www.eset.com