[Nfb-web] Forwarding Newsline Articles: How to Do A Thing Right -- and Avoid Copyright Infringements?

Everett Gavel everettgavel at att.net
Tue Aug 31 04:22:09 UTC 2010

Hi All,

A nice newspaper article on a new piece of tech was
forwarded around recently.  It came from the Newsliner
service.

I'm asking here for ideas on how to forward such useful
information more efficiently, and, I guess, legally.
I'm not really uptight about this.  It's not that big a
deal if you ask me.  Great information should be
shared.  It just looks sloppy on us, and we're also
making the NFB look sloppy, IMO -- especially if and
when such Forwards get posted to public lists like
these.  The NFB -- and each of us using the service
mentioned below -- agreed to the terms stated here:

"This article is provided to you as a courtesy of
NFB-NEWSLINER Online for your sole use. The content of
this E-mail is protected under copyright law, and is
not to be distributed in any manner to others;
infringement of our non-dissemination agreement is
strictly prohibited.
Allowing someone to have access to this material is in
violation of the Terms of Use agreement that you
electronically signed when you signed up for
NFB-NEWSLINER Online. Please do not forward this E-mail
or its attachments to any other person or disseminate
it in any manner."

So how might we be able to forward good info without
abusing the priveleges that have been granted us?  It's
my concern that if we so blatantly abuse these
priveleges granted us by various publishers, why would
any of them believe what we say to them in agreements
for better access in the future?

Care to share ideas on doing it better?  On getting the
useful info out there without copyright infringement?
Such as, say, simply posting the title, author, and
page-link (which has been recommended for years)?
Maybe even including up to, what is it, 250 words as
well, as a bit of a teaser blurb cropped from the
article?  It's not that hard, really.  But I've been
lazy myself too many times, and simply forwarded a
whole article too.  I'm just trying to put some better
ideas, some 'higher road' sort of options out there.
Got any to share?  ;-)

Strive On!
Everett
everett at everettgavel.com