[Nfb-web] Drupal versus WordPress

E.J. Zufelt lists at zufelt.ca
Fri Jun 18 16:20:20 UTC 2010

Good afternoon,

My experience with Drupal is much greater than that with Wordpress, but I have used both.

Drupal is more complex and can do far more than Wordpress, but it is harder to learn and understand as a beginner.  Wordpress is more limited in its extensibility and flexibility, but it is far easier to start using than Drupal.

That being said, Wordpress 3.0 was released this week and has narrowed the functionality gap a bit with Drupal by allowing for new features like custom content types.  Drupal 7, to be released later this summer, will be narrowing the gap in terms of usability.  Improving ease of use for administrators was a huge goal of Drupal 7.

I have not evaluated the accessibility of of Wordpress in a very long time.  I am the Drupal 7 core accessibility maintainer.  There are a number of accessibility problems in Drupal 6, many of which will be fixed in Drupal 7.  For users of Drupal 6 it is possible to correct the majority of these problems through custom theming.  Drupal allows for almost every piece of content to be themed in a custom way.  For example, you can theme an entire page, a menu, a menu item, a button, etc, or you can just leave the system with the default theme, or use one of the many contributed themes.

The best way to determine which system is best for your needs, as with everything else in systems design, is to decide exactly what your functional requirements are and ten to look to see which system will best meet your needs.  One system is no better than te other, they each are very good and can only be evaluated as being better or best at filling your specific implementation need.

HTH,
Everett Zufelt
http://zufelt.ca

Follow me on Twitter