[Nfb-web] Facebook Seeks Accessibility Engineer

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun Oct 3 00:41:59 UTC 2010

User Experience – Accessibility (HTML/CSS/JavaScript)

Are you interested in building products used by
hundreds of millions of people? Do you have
direct experience working with assistive
technology (ie screen readers)? Facebook is
seeking an experienced User Interface Engineer
that is passionate about building accessible
user-facing web applications. This role includes
the management of technical accessibility
processes as well as ownership over internal and
external communication of Facebook’s
accessibility strategies. This position is
contractual and is based at our main office in Palo Alto, CA.
<http://www.facebook.com/careers//ajax/share_dialog.php?s=20&p[]=129800667069208>Share
<http://www.facebook.com/careers//careers/apply.php?id=129800667069208>Apply
for this position
Responsibilities
    * Work with product teams to implement accessible products
    * Participate in code reviews with an eye for accessibility
    * Identify and communicate accessibility best
practices for front-end engineering
    * Manage technical process for accessibility
    * Communicate Facebook’s accessibility strategy internally and externally
Requirements
    * Expert knowledge of web technologies (HTML/CSS/JS)
    * Expert knowledge of assistive technology
(JAWS, VoiceOver, Dragon NaturallySpeaking)
    * Experience with scripting languages (PHP)
    * Passion for elegant, intuitive, and accessible user interfaces
    * Ability to write well-abstracted, reusable code for UI components
    * Familiarity with Object Oriented JavaScript
Frameworks (Prototype JS, MooTools, Dojo, etc.)
    * Experience working with HTML/CSS/JS in high-performance environments
    * 3+ years experience in building web
products with assistive technology in mind
    * BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
Bonus
    * Experience building complicated workflows
    * Relevant experience includes self-started personal projects
<http://www.facebook.com/careers//ajax/share_dialog.php?s=20&p[]=129800667069208>Share
<http://www.facebook.com/careers//careers/apply.php?id=129800667069208>Apply
for this position

<http://www.facebook.com/careers//careers/department.php?dept=design&req=129800667069208>Permalink
to this requisition
<http://www.facebook.com/careers//careers/perks.php>Benefits and Perks
food

We've got it good!
At our Palo Alto headquarters, we also offer free
breakfast, lunch and dinner at our Cafe. Whether
you're looking for healthy salads, or hearty
world cuisine from Belize, India, etc., or just a
couple slices of pizza, Chef Josef and his team
of culinary geniuses in Palo Alto make it happen every day.
<http://www.facebook.com/careers//careers/life.php>Life at Facebook
life

Innovation is paramount
No matter what part of Facebook you join, you'll
be building something big and new. You won't
simply be finding answers; you'll be framing
questions that no one has ever asked before - and
identifying unprecedented opportunities. We
welcome pioneers. In fact, we insist on them.

                         David Andrews:  dandrews at visi.com
Follow me on Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/dandrews920