[Nfb-web] Updating Drupal manually

E.J. Zufelt lists at zufelt.ca
Wed Jan 12 02:05:12 UTC 2011

Note: I have never updated Drupal using Fantastico.  I would, however, imagine that updating a site with the same tool used to install the site originally is the safest approach, should such an option be available.

There are two types of Drupal updates.  The first, a minor update, is when you update from something like Drupal 6.18 to Drupal 6.19.  These updates are usually straight forward.  The second, a major upgrade, is when you upgrade from Drupal 6.19 to Drupal 7.0.  These updates are more complicated, since all installed / enabled themes and modules will also need to be updated to their 7.0 versions.

Although the Drupal update process is thoroughly tested, it is important to understand that data loss is * always * a possibility.  You should ensure that you back up all of your data prior to performing an update.  This includes your database, and any custome modules and themes that you may be using.  It is also possible that there will not be a version of the modules that you are using available for the major version of Drupal that you are upgrading to.  Although modules and themes developed for 6.18 will be compatible with 6.19 they will * not * be compatible with 7.0.  If you are upgrading to 7.0 you will need to ensure that there is a 7.0 compatible version of the modules and themes that you are planning to use.  If you have custome modules and themes, ones that you have created yourself or that others have created for you, you will need to follow the process for upgrading your modules and themes from 6.x to 7.x.

HTH,
Everett Zufelt
http://zufelt.ca

Follow me on Twitter