[Nfb-web] Conference and Training

Milton Ota mota at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jul 12 17:02:17 UTC 2011

Hello Fellow Webmasters:

To follow-up with our discussion at the NFB Webmasters workshop during the
2011 national convention of the National Federation of the Blind held on
Tuesday evening-we have been offered the use of a Internet based conference
room using the Talking communities chat client.

Below is the information provided to me in order to get things going. We
will need to find a date, day,, and time to schedule this training
conference. The first topic that seemed to be of interest was using Word
Press. Everyone that wishes to participate will need to sign-up.

Signing up for Out of Sight is easy and painless.  The entire process
consists of filling out a form and installing and configuring our Talking
Communities client.

First, go to

www.out-of-sight.net <http://www.out-of-sight.net/>

When the page loads, you will hear the theme song for the site. Press escape
to stop the song.

Feel free to navigate through the site's pages.

To register with Out of Sight, enter on the link Become a Member.

You will then read our policies and decide at that point to either continue
or not the registration process.

Once you continue, you will be presented with a form to fill out .

This form consists of several fields that must be completed.

Please note that all the information you provide is confidential. Only site
management and agents of the site may access this information if you choose.

The information you will need to provide is:

* Full Name:
 * Email:
 Phone:
 * Choose User_name: That is the name with which you will logon to the site
and that will be visible in the rooms.

Upload your photo. You may skip this section.
Interests
* Tell us about yourself:
Link: This may be filled out if you have a web page you wish to share.

Fields with asterisks are required

Once you submit the form, you will receive an email containing your username
and password within 24 hours. follow the instructions in the email in order
to access our chat site.

When you have entered our main chat site locator, please download and
install theTC  client. If you have the client installed you may skip this
step.

In order to install the chat client to have access to our chat rooms, follow
these steps:

1. Tab to the link First Time users click here to download the plugin. and
press Enter and a download dialogue box will appear.
2. This dialogue box offers you the choice of saving or running the client.
the client must be run in order to be installed so tab to run and press the
spacebar. If you wish to save the client you may do so, but be sure to run
it after you have downloaded it. You will not be able to enter any of our
rooms
if the client is not installed.
3. The Client's setup screen will then be displayed. Follow the prompts. The
client will then be installed on your computer. You will be presented with
a Finish button press the spacebar on it to close the chat client
installation. You are now ready to enter any of our chat rooms. The first
time you enter
a room, you may be asked to update the client. Do so.

Once you have installed the client, you can configure it by going in our
tech rooms and accessing the web page located there.

The tech rooms are:

Technically Speaking

Tech Room for 2 Number 1

Tech Room for 2 Number 2

Tech Room for 3

Once you have entered the room, pressing f6 will place you in the browser
window.  Go to the link, configure the client for your needs and enter on
it.

There you will  be presented with a few short tutorials on configuring and
setting up the client as well as a list of hot keys to access the client's
features.

Jaws users, please note that until you configure the Announce Progress Bar
Updates in the User Options in the Jaws Configuration Manager, you will hear
percentages being spoken while in the client chat window.

It is strongly recommended that you read and familiarize yourself with the
tutorials and tips pertaining to the TC client located in our tech room web
pages as it will make your experience on Out of Sight more enjoyable.

If you have any questions you can always contact our help desk, or attend
our Tech Talk and Tips sessions.

Join us every Tuesday evening for some helpful tips and technical support
from our dedicated and knowledgeable tech team!
Start time: 20:00:00 ET
Room: Technically Speaking

Finally, we recommend that you sign up for our What's Happening announcement
list on Yahoo groups.  You may sign up by going to our main page and
entering on the link, Email Lists.  There you can enter your email address
to receive our daily announcements.

All are welcome to participate in any activity without cost.

Other than the above, all you will need is a microphone to be able to chat.
I would suggest that we make sure that all members are signed up and
approved before we schedule a meeting.  Let me know if you have any
questions.  Talk to you soon.

Debi

480.834.0531

To all JAWS users, those using JAWS version 11 or later, you already have
scripts that will work with this chat room client.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact either Debi Black
or myself.

Milton Ota

National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii