[Nfb-web] Accessible Captcha

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Wed Nov 9 02:35:16 UTC 2011

Good evening everyone,

Another alternative is to install a utility that does spam checking in the
background requiring no interaction by the visitor. I've written about one
such Web utility called CFFormProtect. To use this module your Web site must
be running on a server with ColdFusion installed. I suggested that we see if
such Web utilities exist for other Web language environments i.e. ASP.NET,
PHP, Ruby-on_Rails, etc. These would be a far better way to protect Web
forms from spam bots without denying access to specific populations such as
blind Web surfers.

    I don't know if it's the sites I'm visiting or what but lately I have
not run in to as many CAPTCHAS as I did in recent years. Perhaps folks are
getting the message and employing other spam checking alternatives to
CAPTCHAS.

Peter Donahue