[Nfb-web] Accessible Captcha

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Nov 9 14:22:19 UTC 2011

I realize this question was raised looking for answers and not commentary, but how could an entity
consider a solution that excluded some of its own customers, that being the deaf-blind in particular at
the very least, and more customers depending upon the implementation.  Clearly I don't know the exact
type of database they are trying to protect, but from what I know of other libraries, one needs a user-
id and password to access the site, and even if one were to be able to apply on-line, one would need to
be a user of the library to get one.  I don't see the need for a CAPTCHA at all in this case.  However,
some sites have experimented with using CAPTCHAs that involve answering a question of some time, even
mathematical problems expressed as words which would provide some protection while being text-based.
The State of Minnesota has used this approach in some cases.  I would be tempted to ask why the library
carries braille and recorded NLS books since those are clearly not industry standard.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson