[Nfb-web] [gui-talk] NFB website and related sites temporarilyunavailable?

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Tue Nov 15 02:51:23 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

    Perhaps someone needs to talk to Dr. Maurer and the national staff about
cloud computing. They could have "Spun" up a cloud server and placed our
national sites on it to keep them available during the in-house server
upgrade and shut them down when the upgrade was complete. There would have
been no need to take them down for this upgrade. Perhaps next time.

    We use a cloud application to remotely store lots of our important
files. With cloud computing you only pay for what you need. You can add
resources and discontinue them when not needed. You only pay for what you
use so the savings can be substantial.

    The cloud storage application we're using is called JungleDisk and is
very accessible with JAWS. We're using JFW 12.0 and are running the
JungleDisk application under Windows XP Home, XP Professional and Windows 7
Home Premium. It's working great in all three environments. There are also
JungleDisk apps for the iPhone, Blackberry, and Google's Android so you can
always have access to your data at home and on-the-road.

    The cloud storage package we have through Rackspace is called Cloud
Drive Work Groups. If you want to run Cloud Drive on a desktop be sure to
install the Work Groups Edition. We learned that the hard way. The Rackspace
folks provided outstanding service to us to get everything up and running
properly.

    They also have other Cloud services such as Web site hosting, server
backup and the Gardner's Magic Quadrant. Learn more at:
http://www.rackspace.com

    It's great to see everything back up and running. All the best.

Peter Donahue