[Nfb-web] Accessible NAS Systems

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Tue Sep 4 20:18:37 UTC 2012

    Good afternoon everyone,

Although this is a "Border Line" post because it partly involves Web
accessibility issues I decided to post it here to hopefully find blind users
of network attached storage, (NAS)  solutions for storing large amounts of
files in a central location and being able to access them locally or
remotely with various devices. In addition to their file storage capability
many NAS devices include such features as print servers, media servers, and
even Web servers allowing you to create Web sites and run them right from
the drive.

    Since the proper way to develop Web sites is on a local "Testing server"
to be sure all components work as expected and for debugging purposes before
moving them to the "Production Server" the host where the site will live
permanently and be available to visitors having an in-house Web server can
be very beneficial for a Web developer. Some NAS Web servers also include
PHP and MYSQL allowing one to develop and test databases locally before
deploying them to a production environment. Having a testing environment for
sites under construction you can access from multiple locations is exciting!
For this reason I felt it appropriate to post this request here in the hopes
of finding other blind NAS users to get a better idea of which systems work
well with screen readers and which do not.

    We have an external drive preparing to "Go south" on us and are in the
market for its replacement. We could buy an external drive for a particular
computer or choose the smarter choice to buy a NAS drive system so all of
our files will be available to any computer we own. This makes more logical
sense rather than having an external drive that will only service to store
files for a particular unit.

    We're wanting to know if any of you have used NAS (Network Attached
Storage) drives and which ones you have found to be the most accessible to
blind computer users. A friend of ours said that products from "Buffalo
Technology" are the best NAS storage products you can get. We're leaning in
this direction. These systems have software you install to configure the
drive and to make the NAS drive available to each node of your network
including smart phones, iPad and iPods. Otherwise the NAS drive appears as
another drive on each device connected to the network. Although Buffalo's
products seem to hold promise further investigation revealed that in order
to install the drive software and to perform drive management operations one
must enter a captcha code (Not detectable by JAWS) to execute these
procedures.

    Up until now we've been using a remote cloud storage solution which for
the most part is serving us well though it does have a few quirks we would
love to be rid of. Creating a "Private Cloud" could be a far better solution
as it would allow us to store our files in-house and will allow us to
eliminate some monthly expenses. Your feedback concerning NAS devices and
their accessibility will be very much appreciated. All the best.

  Peter Donahue

 “No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper.”
Isaiah 54:17

 “While for our princes they prepare
In caverns deep a burning snare,
He shot from heaven a piercing ray,