[Nfb-web] php, matching data

Graham Mehl blind at trailstone.com
Wed Jan 9 04:25:02 UTC 2013

Bryan,
I have not seen any replies to this email.
I will attempt a reply, however your usage of Php and tables confuses me a
little.

Is your master table in a database or on a php web page when your asking
this question.
If working solely within a database, I would make your department tables a
view in to the master table.

if the master table is in a database and you are using a php call to get the
info, why not just several php calls to the database such that a specific
department is the selection criteria.

Now if you don't know the department names, but want to list the info in
separate tables on the php page, then that gets a little tricky.
I would make a php call to your database sorting on the department. If it is
not sorted then your php page would have to do that and could make the php
page messy.
Once you have the list retrieved then you could do one of two things. One
approach would to be to loop through the list and if the current department
did not equal the previous department end your HTML table and start a new
HTML table for the new department. Or the second approach would be to loop
through the master table and the department in its own array or in a double
indexed array. Then loop through the appropriate array to display the info
later.

Not sure if this helps, but maybe helps the thinking process.
Good Luck.

--
Graham
blind at trailstone.com