[Nfb-web] Word Press Help Needed

Michael Baldwin mbaldwin at gpcom.net
Mon Apr 7 15:12:20 UTC 2014

I do not recommend one click installs from hosts.
They tend to be less secure do to default settings.
Download and unzip the wordpress.zip on your local machine. In the root
directory find the file
wp-config-sample.php. It can be opened with a text editor like notepad.
 find the below lines and edit with your database information. If you do not
have a database created, create one with CPanel or PHPMyAdmin
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define('DB_NAME', 'database_name_here');

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', 'username_here');

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'password_here');

/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');

Go further down and find this line:
* Authentication Unique Keys and Salts.
Go to the website given in the instructions and copy and paste the codes in
the correct area, making sure to remove the text indicated where to paste
the codes.

Next go down to:
$table_prefix  = 'wp_';

Change the wp_, noting the underline, to a string of 3 or 4 random letters
or numbers with the underline at the end.

Save the file as
wp-config.php

Upload the files to your server using sftp, or ftp, if you do not have sftp.

Then go to
www.mysite.com/wp-admin.install.php

This will start the quick install process.
I also recommend against using admin as the admin login name. Use something
at least 6 characters.

Yes, I know Wordpress can do this file for you, but then you have to have
folder permissions set in a less secure way for it to work.

I like to download the wordpress core files and all plugins I plan on using
to my local machine before uploading to the server. The upload will take a
little longer, but then I have a basic wordpress setup I can use on
different sites, or a core backup if I need to restore the site.

Michael