[Nfb-web] hiding text

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Feb 4 11:47:03 UTC 2015

Susie,

I'm not the web expert that others are on this list, but I've run into hidden text to some degree.  If you are referring to text that exists on the page but is
hidden by placing it outside the display boundaries, then there is not an absolute answer.  In the past, some screen readers used hidden text to provide
more information about certain web constructions such as mouse-overs as I understood it.  This also caused us to see error messages that really were not
present and other confusing results.  Therefore, I believe that screen readers have largely backed away from using this approach.  At one point, Window-
Eyes provided an option as to whether the user wanted to see this or not.  Unfortunately, people using older versions of screen readers may still see hidden
text in some cases.  Whether this is really a problem depends upon the text.  I would at least try the page with the latest versions of NVDA, JAWS and
Window-Eyes, and probably try JAWS 15 and 16 as it seems there are a lot of people using version 15 yet.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 21:27:17 +0000, Stanzel, Susan - FSA, Kansas City, MO via Nfb-web wrote:

>Good afternoon Everyone,

>I am testing a system. Under one scenario the user is two have two choices and under another scenario the user is supposed to have four choices. If the
text is "hidden" will it also be hidden from the screen reader?

>Susie Stanzel

>This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or
the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.