[Nfb-web] FW: Go ATAG! Twitter adds alternative text to images

Andrews, David B (DEED) david.b.andrews at state.mn.us
Wed Mar 30 20:02:32 UTC 2016

From: Jeanne Spellman [mailto:jspellman at spellmanconsulting.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:59 AM
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig at w3.org>
Subject: Go ATAG! Twitter adds alternative text to images

Last year, Jan Richards and I had conversations with Twitter A11y team about adding alt text to images to conform to Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) 2.0.
https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag.php

Twitter announced today that alternative text can now be added to Twitter using their Android or iOS apps.
https://blog.twitter.com/2016/accessible-images-for-everyone

Yay!  Thanks to Todd Kloots -- @todd, who drove this issue inside of Twitter.  Please tweet and thank him.

In other recent ATAG 2.0 news:
Two weeks ago, Wordpress publicly committed to WCAG AA, and one of their lead A11y contributors, Joe Dolson, blogged that the next step was ATAG conformance.

https://www.joedolson.com/2016/03/wordpress-goes-wcag-mean/  His final paragraph:

"What’s next? Embracing the guidelines in the Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines<https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag.php>. It’s not enough to make it possible to succeed; we should be trying to make it impossible to fail. "

It is great to see the influence of ATAG spreading.

Jeanne

David Andrews | Chief Technology Officer
Department of Employment and Economic Development
State Services for the Blind, 2200 University Ave. W., Suite 240, St. Paul MN 55114
Direct: 651-539-2294 | Mobile: 612-730-7931
Web<http://mn.gov/deed> | Twitter<http://twitter.com/mndeed> | Facebook<http://facebook.com/mndeed>
[Minnesota: Number 1 State for Business, CNBC, 2015]<http://mn.gov/deed/whymn>