[Nfb-web] question about NFB web sites and Affiliates chapters

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Wed Nov 15 17:36:26 UTC 2017

Good morning everyone,

When Mary and I were members of our local chapter we had our own website that was linked to the Texas Affiliate Website. Some of the NFBT Board Members complemented our chapter on the amount of content it contained particularly information of use to the blind of San Antonio.

	All was fine until a new president was elected. I was informed that the chapter wanted to take the Website in a "Different Direction." Common sense tells me that if you want to update site content so it's more of use to visitors the last thing you want to do is get rid of the person that can make that happen: the chapter's Webmaster. That Website is now next to non-existant and the blind of San Antonio are worse off for it. I provided my services on a voluntary basis. Never again! We strongly believe that those who provide such high-level skilled services to any agency, company, or organization should be paid for their time and effort. It's the responsibility of the local chapter to position itself financially to pay for Website services reguardless of their cost. Expecting to be charged for their services will also keep the Webmaster from being subject to the kind of abuse I described above and will instill a greater sense of pride and ownership in such a valuable reforce and will promote greater respect for the talents and abilities of those entrusted to manage the chapter or affiliate's Web presence. This is a nonnegotiable with us!

	If your chapter decides to have a stand-alone Website be sure you have checks in place to prevent the kind of situation described in this post happening to those responsible for its upkeep and that you undertake fundraising to cover the cost of building and maintaining the chapter's Website. All the best.

Peter Donahue