[Nfb-web] [NFB-web] question about NFB web sites and Affiliates chapters

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 16 19:01:34 UTC 2017

Hello, Peter. I certainly respect your right to hold the view that you do about paying webmasters. You worked for our Missouri affiliate for a time and were compensated in the way you requested.

I feel compelled to note that there are many volunteer services for which we do not pay that are every bit as intensive as being a webmaster. We do not pay our state presidents, our state secretaries, or our state treasurers. Some of our state secretaries are professional writers. Some of our state treasurers and our chapter treasurers work as accountants. Many of our state presidents hold jobs outside the Federation, and the hourly rate they command from their employers or earned through their businesses is significant. The logic that a webmaster should be paid because he has worked hard to master his trade is compelling, but I think the same case can be made for lots of positions in the NFB in which volunteers step forward.

I am in no way arguing against state affiliates hiring web talent or against qualified web experts making their living or some part of it by charging for service. I simply wish to note that volunteering time and talent to our organization is crucial to much of what it does, and anything we decide to pay for will require aggressive and effective fundraising. Thank God for the donated services people wish to give as their contribution to our cause.
Warmly,

Gary