[Nfb-web] A Response to James

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 6 21:43:10 UTC 2019

I forward this for my friend John Berggren. It is in response to James. Here
is what John says:

Gary, I was going to finally respond to James' email when I realized I can't
tell what his email address is. So I'll relay the info to you.

There are both Drupal and WordPress templates out there that match our newer
logo and branding, but don't match the web format introduced earlier this
year. I can send James copies of both if he would like. We can provide
modest assistance with the Drupal theme, but it's caveat emptor with the
WordPress theme.

Last fall, Rachel put together a proposal for a way to roll out a
centralized version of our current Drupal theme for all affiliates. This
will be hosted on Drupal using multisites with a CiviCRM backend. The
backend will be managed centrally with security patches applied to all sites
at once, ensuring the currency of each affiliate platform. The expectation
is that the national office would identify a service provider who would
create the theme, establish fifty-two instances of the theme with donation
and convention registration capabilities, and then assist each affiliate
with the migration of their content to the new platform (if desired). Once
the big move is done, I'd expect that we could move ongoing support to an
internal resource. Affiliates would still be responsible for all content
maintenance. We'll talk about this at the webmasters meeting next month, but
I'm not certain James will be there.

Best,
John