[NFB-Web] Accessible SSH Client

Michael Hansen mhansen4 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 13:49:23 UTC 2021

Joe,

As a blind person whose sight is slowly getting worse your question about
accessible SSH clients sparked my interest. My job requires me to program
Cisco Routers via the command line as well as access some servers via SSH
so this is something I do on a fairly regular basis.

I have been a long time user of PuTTY but recently my team switched to
Secure CRT. Below is some info I found on both as well as some info on
Microsoft's built in command line SSH client.

PuTTY:

I have seen statements saying that PuTTY has historically been usable by
screen readers. One article did mention that there might possibly be issues
with the most recent versions but it didn't elaborate. I also found the
following link to some JAWs scripts that are supposed to work with PuTTY.

https://github.com/munawarb/JAWS-PuTTY-Scripts

Microsoft SSH:

While reading an article I did also learn about the command line SSH client
built into Windows . The usage is simple

example:      ssh  username at hostname

usage: ssh [-46AaCfGgKkMNnqsTtVvXxYy] [-B bind_interface]
           [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-D [bind_address:]port]
           [-E log_file] [-e escape_char] [-F configfile] [-I pkcs11]
           [-i identity_file] [-J [user@]host[:port]] [-L address]
           [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-O ctl_cmd] [-o option] [-p port]
           [-Q query_option] [-R address] [-S ctl_path] [-W host:port]
           [-w local_tun[:remote_tun]] destination [command]

It likely isn't as flexible as PuTTY or Secure Shell but it is built right
into Windows Command line

It just worked for me when I tried but here is an article about how to
enable it.
https://www.howtogeek.com/336775/how-to-enable-and-use-windows-10s-built-in-ssh-commands/

Secure CRT:

I am a new user to Secure CRT. My team just started to use it a few months
ago but so far I like it. I did notice that VanDyke software, the creators
of Secure CRT have the following page posted on their website regarding
screen readers.

https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/scrnread.html

I hope this helps.
Mike